The organization was created in 1988 by CEPT (Conference of European Post and Telecommunications). ETSI is located in Sophia Antipolis technology park near Nice in France.
Nowadays, ETSI has more than 900 member organizations from over 60 countries and five continents, including equipment manufacturers, network operators, carriers, administrators, service providers, researchers and users. There are all key players in the IT world.
The organization has successfully standardized the GSM cellular communication system and the TETRA professional mobile radio communication system. ETSI is one of the founders of the international Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP). Through this project, ETSI is helping to develop 4G and 5G mobile communications.
Also, ETSI works with partners around the globe in the oneM2M partnership project to develop standards for machine-to-machine communications.
ETSI projects for 2021
- New Industry Specification Group on Reconfigurable Intelligent Surfaces (RIS).
- ETSI DECT-2020 NR approved by ITU-R as first non-cellular 5G technology.
- “Designing Tomorrow’s World” – new ETSI strategy announced.
- Launch of MEC sandbox for edge app developers.
- First report on securing Artificial Intelligence.
- New Industry Specification Group on IPv6 Enhanced Innovation (IPE).