BNG/BRAS Solution for Broadband Providers
Our Border Network Access Server or Border Network Gateway (BRAS/BNG) solution is software-based. This gives the following advantages and characteristics:
- fits on any equipment that meets the minimum requirements
- implementation takes 1-3 weeks
- test stand deployment takes 1 day
- no EoL, no EoS
- easily scalable for traffic volume and more functionality.
BNG is an essential device because it is located in the provider’s network at the server level, while performing a number of border functions. As designed by VAS Experts, the Service Gateway is implemented into the network core and interacts with the PCRF server, provider’s billing system, subscriber database, subscriber devices and border routers.
The challenges of an ISP
Sooner or later, each Internet Provider faces the need to update the service gateway on a scheduled or urgent basis. This is usually associated with one of three tasks:
1. Scaling up
As the ISP’s network grows, its performance and bandwidth resources are exhausted. In this case, one of the solutions is to implement additional hardware equipment. But for most of the ISPs it is quite obvious that simply adding more bandwidth is not a cost-effective solution. No matter how much bandwidth you provide, the evolving telecom market will need more as there are more and more devices and applications used everyday. In addition, it complicates administration, increases electricity bills and requires more space to install all the equipment.
2. A more stable operation
Every equipment gets deteriorated over time. The problem may occur that the manufacturer’s support has expired or the manufacturer cannot help to repair the equipment. The pre-configured appliance becomes a black box for the engineer: it is impossible to determine whether the software or the hardware part has failed.
3. Adding functionality and scaling out
Large and medium-sized providers usually need more functions for company development:
- more analytics capabilities
- ability to combine different types of user authorization (for example, when two operators merge into one)
- ability to change the technologies (for example, when switching from ADSL to OLT)
- development of new services (for example, transition from multicast TV to OTT) and etc.
If such tasks are not solved, the growth of the company and its profit becomes impossible. In the worst cases, it leads to subscriber dissatisfaction, churn, self-written solutions and an increased load on technical support.
VAS Experts BRAS/BNG solution meets all the technical requirements of modern networks and, being a software,solves these issues and protects the operator’s investments.
Reduce the CAPEX and OPEX
- no hardware vendor-lock: you can choose any equipment you like
- the solution cannot become outdated and require replacement: software licenses have no EoL and are regularly updated by the developers
- the pricing is based on the throughput without limitation by subscribers number
- enables management and configuration automation with the Graphical User Interface
- there is a direct contact with the developers - the system can be modified for a non-standard operator's task
The software can be installed on any server equipment. Also, a hardware-software platform can be purchased from partners of the company.
When the server, network architecture and other preparations are ready, it usually takes about two weeks to deploy the system. VAS Experts engineers help to implement software and integrate with billing system. Operator’s engineers are provided with standard management methods for all functions, training and GUI available.
The software solution is easy to upgrade and easy to support increasing network and subscriber growth - traffic growth surcharge only. Hardware platform can be vertically scaled from 6 to 200 Gbps. Virtual horizontal scaling is unlimited.
A reserve license provides Active Standby mode and guarantees the high availability of devices for each authorization type. Redundancy for PPPoE is achieved by a full N+1 implementation scheme.
Managable Network Core
- Increased network performance
- Building a system with simplified integration of content control, analytics, subscriber and traffic management
- IPv6-ready network
- The same channel capacity accommodates 25% more subscriber traffic = more profit
- Flexible license: you just expand the license when the subscriber base grows or when you need more functions
- No vendor-lock – any available standard server fits
Analytics and Data enrichment
- Analytics on the volume of consumed traffic, interests and devices of subscribers – you can create personalized data plans
- Identification of subscribers who are interested in competitors – the ability to timely influence their decision
- Identification of low-quality Wi-Fi routers from subscribers – the possibility of up-sale and replacement of equipment
Check out the success stories of our clients
Success Story: APEX
Functional BRAS L2 and L3, NAT and IPv6 support
Success Story: Etherway
An affordable BRAS solution for a small Internet Service Provider
Success Story: X-COM
Full BNG with IPv6 support implementation case
Success Story: StarNet Moldova
A multifunctional solution with DPI, BNG, CG-NAT for the largest ISP in Moldova with more than 130k subscribers